Frequently Asked Questions


How long do I have to file my claim?

In Georgia, you have two years to file a lawsuit against the person who injured you. However, if you are claiming a loss of consortium, which means the loss of the benefits of family relationships due to injury, you have four years to file your claim. If no agreement has been reached with any of the involved parties prior to that time, a lawsuit must be filed before the statute of limitations runs out.

Do I need a personal injury attorney?

Statistics show that when another person or organization is at fault for their injuries, individuals who choose to “go it alone” receive substantially less compensation than those who retain representation.

What kind of personal injury cases does The Watson Law Firm handle?

Our attorneys handle claims involving auto, truck and motor vehicle accidents and slip and fall injuries, and wrongful death cases.

Should I accept a settlement or go before a jury?

The decision to accept or decline a settlement offer can be very difficult and is always your decision to make. We will thoroughly discuss the pros and cons of any offer with you to help you reach a good decision for you and your family.

How will your firm help prepare me if we have to go to trial?

In the event that a settlement cannot be reached before trial, we will thoroughly prepare you for each step of the trial experience so you are comfortable and well informed about the process, your claim and your legal rights.

What Is My Claim Worth?

The value of your claim is determined under Georgia law, which provides that the person or organization that injured you is responsible for the following:

  • Past, current and future estimated medical expenses

  • Time lost from work, including time spent going to medical appointments or therapy

  • Any property that was damaged, such as your vehicle or home

  • The cost of hiring someone to do household chores when you could not do them

  • Any permanent disfigurement or disability

  • Your emotional distress, including anxiety, depression, and any interference with your family relationships

  • A change in your future earning ability due to the injury

  • Any other costs that were a direct result of your injury

What compensation can I receive in a personal injury lawsuit?

Compensatory damages vary depending on the nature of the case. Compensatory damages may cover these or other expenses resulting from your injury:


  • Medical bills

  • Lost wages, including overtime

  • Mental anguish or disability

  • Pain and suffering

  • Loss of enjoyment of life

  • Physical disability

  • Disfigurement

  • Loss of companionship

  • Property damage

  • Transportation charges

What should I do if I am injured?

To make sure you have the best chance for a quick and fair settlement for your injury claim, you should do the following:

  • Write down everything you can remember about how the injury happened. Be sure to include names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses if available of anyone who witnessed the event, police officers on the scene, representatives of the insurance company and anyone else who may be able to attest to what happened.

  • Secure any evidence you will need to prove what happened. This could include your car, photographs of the scene of the accident or injury, any clothing you were wearing and any damaged personal belongings.

  • Consult with a personal injury attorney before making any written or verbal statements to an insurance company adjuster or representative.